Author Topic: Wiring S Play Shield - possible electrical short  (Read 1680 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

rei_vilo

Wiring S Play Shield - possible electrical short
« on: July 03, 2012, 04:36:31 PM »
The Wiring S Play Shield is potentially hazardous.

There is a risk of short circuit between the pins number 1 and 8 of the U2 chip for EEPROM and the ground of the USB connector, as shown in the picture.

As a result, I fried the 2 chips, the DS1307 RTC and the 24LC256 EEPROM. As a collateral damage, I burnt one finger.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 02:35:04 PM by bhagman »

rei_vilo

Re: Warning! Play Shield for Wiring S Potentially Hazardous
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 04:39:55 PM »
Before the shield design is modified and in case you own one, here's one solution.

I glued one piece of plastic to manage an extra space and avoid further short circuit.

It isn't pretty, but it works.

But I have no solution to revive the two ICs fried. No option but to purchase new ones.

bhagman

Re: Warning! Wiring S Play Shield Potentially Hazardous
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 02:17:24 PM »
Luckily, we don't have too many of the play shields / adapters out there. I'm going to redesign the Wiring S to have a new shield standard, so the PlayShield will also be redesigned.

If you are one of the fortunate few that have a Play Shield, please use Olivier's work-around or, as another idea, just place a piece of electrical tape on top of the USB connector.