Author Topic: ICSP and Wiring S  (Read 1902 times)

Platypus

ICSP and Wiring S
« on: September 17, 2012, 12:10:46 AM »
I am using a usbtinyisp external programmer, supplied by Sparkfun, to upload.

This works fine for my other boards such as the Freetronics Eleven, which uses a Mega328 28 pin chip.

But there is an error using the programmer with the Wiring S Board.

It is fine using boot loader.

I have changed the preferences.txt file - second last line, upload.using=boot loader or usbtinyisp, whichever way is used. I use V23 for the mega328.

Operating system is Win7.

I think the problem mignt be the driver file as i dont have a specific one for this Wiring S board and use the 64bit driver from Adafruit. It is very likely that the 64bit driver I am using for the other AVRs is not compatible with the Wiring S board.

Has anyone attempted this method of external programming?

Platypus

Re: ICSP and Wiring S
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 03:04:54 AM »
I found an error message from the IDE - Avrdude (from the IDE debug window)reports that ;
-there is no USB support
- programmer not supported

WINAVR -2010 ( the latest version) says that the mega644PA is supported but that the compiler/assembler may not support any particular device.

It seems the problem is leading to the Wiring IDE being out of date with the usbtinyisp. The IDE will also not burn bootloader using the usbtinyisp.

Remember, that the Arduino IDE and its integrated Avrdude supports this programmer - I have no issues with the Arduino IDE's support with this programmer - it works!

Look forward to a clarification from Wiring.