imagelogin

Author Topic: quick question for the experts  (Read 1564 times)

busred

quick question for the experts
« on: June 26, 2013, 04:59:22 PM »
Hi, I'm sure this is a doddle to you lot but I am having no end of trouble. The problem is that the wiring module I have left in a cupboard for 5 years and recently got out dose'nt want to be downloaded to. It has the ATMEGA128 chip on it and in pencil V1 over that, so I guess firmware V1. The only other ID i can see on it is A-02 C0407 on the PCB.

I downloaded WIRING build 100, ran the FDTI and connected the board to my MACbookpro on OSx10.7.5. When I compile and download a program pressing the reset on the Board sets it to wait for the program and I see a flash on the RX TX corresponding with the line on the wiring program;

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

the board does not go back to its program, which is flashing pin 48.

From what I have found on forums so far I think my serial comms is good but maybe the bootloader on the board has become corrupted? Whats the opinion of the web people and is there anything I can do?

Simon.

Qynx

Re: quick question for the experts
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 06:31:57 PM »
You must select the right board to program.....

Qynx

barragan

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 11:59:14 AM »
You'll have to change the boot loader as well, if you have another board you can replace the boot loader using it. In the current Wiring version there is the burn bootloader option that by means of other hardware allows you to install a new bootloader in your old Wiring hardware.

In the menu Help->Examples you'll find the WiringISP sketch you have to load in the board you are going to use as programmer, then hook up the old Wiring board to the programmer board and select the proper burn bootloader option in the tools->Burn Bootloader menu.

busred

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 05:41:25 PM »
Thanks Barragan.

I take it you also think the bootloader is the likely fault. I had not mentioned it in the last post but I had selected ATMEGA1281 from the TOOLS>BOARD>WIRING. Although my chip is marked ATMEGA128 so thanks Qynx too.

So I need a second board to re write the Bootloader. Can it be an ARDUINO? I can buy one quickly here.

I send the WiringISP sketch to the second board.

Hook the second board up to my WIRING board. Somewhere there must be a diagram? For this I'm thinking wiring ports from one to the other.

Then run the TOOLS>BURN BOOTLOADER. I take it that this is performed on the second board which then in turn burns my WIRING board boot loader.

Thanks for your help but as you can probably tell im fishing for more. Detail about the hook up would be great.

Simon.

barragan

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 01:59:45 AM »
hi Simon, yes you could use an arduino as the programmer and hook the Wiring board pins as stated on the example sketch WiringISP.