Author Topic: Using latest Wiring v1 build 100 with Wiring V1 board?  (Read 2272 times)

roypardi

Using latest Wiring v1 build 100 with Wiring V1 board?
« on: December 18, 2013, 12:35:13 AM »
Hi - been a while since I've been here.

I'm reviving an old project an was trying to use the latest Wiring IDE V1 - build 100 to  upload new code. It failed and resulted in AVRDude timeout errors. I tried updating the FTDI drivers and various other things.

To cut to the chase: I downloaded Wiring 0027 and was able to communicate with the board and upload a "blink" sketch.

Here is what the IDE reported:
Firmware Version: 1.15
Firmware Version: 1.15
Atmel AVR ATmega128 is found.
Uploading: flash

So my board is ok. I love these original boards and still have a couple of them. Is there a way to use the latest version of Wiring with them?

UPDATE

Ok, digging around a bit more I found this http://forum.wiring.co/index.php/topic,9.0.html about the need to update the bootloader. I can do this but I am wondering what advantage there will be - and specifically are there incompatibilities I will encounter using the older board?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 12:47:44 AM by roypardi »

barragan

Re: Using latest Wiring v1 build 100 with Wiring V1 board?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 06:03:56 PM »
hi Roy, the update has the latest version of the protocol, no trouble with older boards. Does your board has auto-reset? or still has to do it manually?

best.

roypardi

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 06:45:52 PM »
Hi - I have two very old boards so they don't have the auto-reset. Here's an image (bring back some memories ;-)

I tried to burn a new bootloader on one of the boards - it has a 10 pin ISP so I had to guess at the right pins based on some googling and using a multimeter to check which pins went out to the pins on the rails. Maybe I guessed wrong or that that particular board is dead but I was getting timeout issues.

I need the other board for the project I am revising so am hesitant to screw it up. With the latest version of the Wiring IDE, I get timeout errors when I try to upload anything. With Wiring 0027, all is well.

Using the latest Wiring IDE, I tried pressing the board reset button at different times (e.g. before starting the upload, during at various points, etc.) but it didn't make a difference.

At any rate - a big thanks! These were great boards (so many pins! so much memory! two serial ports! ;-) ) and I got a lot of project mileage out of them - pre-Arduino and the rest.

-Roy

barragan

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 11:32:11 PM »
wow, yes : )
well those don't have auto-reset it has to be done manually, I understand you were able to burn the new boot loader? if you have the board should be fine the thing is when to press, Wiring 100 takes a while to build, try to check the right timing by examining when the board RX led is turned on by the Wiring IDE, it should be at the very end of the compiler process, let me know.

tobyclemson

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 06:47:43 AM »
I have one of the pictured boards and I'm also trying to upgrade the bootloader. Were you successful in reprogramming it?

Would you be able to post the pins you used to program the board? Should the MISO and MOSI pins from the programming board connect to pins 33 and 32 on this early board or was the pinout different? Alternatively, can everything go through the ISP pins?

Thanks,
Toby

roypardi

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 10:50:03 AM »
Hi toby,

I gave it an afternoon of trying but I wasn't able to upgrade the bootloader - timeout issues and no confidence that I had the pins right. So I just decided to move on, using the board with an old version of the Wiring IDE for the old project I was revising.

daiviet

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 04:45:27 AM »
Today I was trying to fix IPS ... and unfortunately, it crashed takes a little leg! So I decided to replace it  >:(