login

Author Topic: Process for getting a vendor/supplier .ihex file for burn  (Read 2259 times)

ldalep

Process for getting a vendor/supplier .ihex file for burn
« on: November 10, 2011, 02:53:02 PM »
 :-\

What is the process using wireing or anything else but avr studio to get the complete .ihex file for a vender/supplier burn.  Seems like the ones I have been looking at don't give everything at once.  For example if you do a bootload reburn you get the fuse settings, but if you do just a flash through the bootloader you don't get all the fuses... just new and not knowing.

bhagman

Re: Process for getting a vendor/supplier .ihex file for burn
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 01:18:20 AM »
Well, everything depends on the target programmer (i.e. at the supplier).  I've used many different methods of getting the data to the programmer - no two ways were ever the same.

Often, the target programmer supports a wide range of controllers, so the formats are rarely the same.

So, in the end you have to supply the fiddly details (i.e. fuse bits, lock bits, etc) in text form along with the hex file(s).

If you do know what the target programmer is, and have a way to work with the tool that it uses, maybe you can build the file using the tool.

For example, Dataman, a popular chip programmer, has software that you can use without the physical programmer - I have used that to build up the files for the programmer.

ldalep

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 10:57:05 AM »
 :)
Thanks for the quick response......

So I have gotten in touch with the vendor - They would prefer to work with a "hex" file.  Is this a correct idea or assumption:

If I created a .elf file which contains all of the info that is needed - FUSE, FLASH, EPROM, LOCK, then used avr-objcopy with out any exclusions that the hex file that is generated is one that they can use?  I looked at the one I had generated and it had all of the info based upon the ihex intel format?

bhagman

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 12:25:08 PM »
You won't be able to contain the FUSES/LOCK bits in the hex file.

You may be able to put the EEPROM data into the hex file - it really depends on the programming software.  But I would suggest that if you have EEPROM data, keep it as a separate ihex file as well (name it appropriately for the vendor - e.g. projectname-EEPROM.hex).

Really, the only way to convey the fuse and lock bits is to provide a README.TXT file along with the .hex (intel hex) file.

e.g.
Code: [Select]
LOW FUSE = 0xHH
HIGH FUSE = 0xHH
EXTENDED FUSE = 0xHH

They will have to enter that data into the programmer by hand.

ldalep

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 03:01:21 PM »
Thank You

I can do.... I suspect they will reject the file I gave them...