Author Topic: Bedside table w/touch sensitive integrated light.  (Read 3362 times)

Mowcius

Bedside table w/touch sensitive integrated light.
« on: November 12, 2011, 09:41:22 AM »
I thought this board looked a bit empty so here's a project I kinda completed coming on 6 months ago.

It's a bedside table with an integrated light.
The table itself is hinged and hollow and currently houses a mess of electronics. Made from waxed birch veneered plywood.
The light was constructed from various layers of wood - veneers, 1mm ply, and flexi ply. These were laser cut and jigged while glueing to get the shape. The middle is hollow and houses:
2 ~500mW warm white LEDs and 2 ~300mW RGB LEDs at the top
2 Rogue Robotics rKey capacitive touch sensor modules (one on the top and one on the side)
1 LDR for adjusting brightness/turning on the light when it gets dark.
16 bi/tri colour (red/blue) LEDs down the back which shine through the veneer
4 74HC595 shift registers for controlling the LEDs, 5 resistor networks for the LEDs and lots of wires!

Testing...

Lots of wires and shift registers - cut down legs dead bug style.

Showing the time (kinda :P )

As the LEDs are individually addressable, I can make them do anything - I've yet to try music visualisations (with the main RGB LEDs as well) but I bet that'll look awesome.

As for code, I'm working on changing it (partly to new Wiring code) so that might come later. I never really got it doing much but I've kinda been motivated recently to get it doing something and start using it for its main purpose as a bedside table.

Thanks to bhagman for help with the shift register code and his continued drive to improve Wiring.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 10:08:05 AM by Mowcius »

bhagman

Re: Bedside table w/touch sensitive integrated light.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 02:18:02 PM »
That looks sweet.

We should definitely get the music going.  I'd love to see the spine LEDs bouncing around. :)  Let me know when you want to get back into it.

barragan

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 11:32:21 PM »
yeah, are you putting things up on a web site?

Mowcius

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 03:58:33 AM »
Heh - I do have a website but I need to sort it out so at the moment, no but when I get the urge to fix it then yes ;)

It's now happily using a board with a Wiring bootloader on after a few hours of trying to get WiringISP working yesterday then finding it was my Arduino board that has issues.