login

Author Topic: Wiring FTDI Driver Installation is unsigned and uncertificated  (Read 1419 times)

lvwarren

I was really happy to install Wiring 1.0 build 100 yesterday on my Mac laptop. I also installed the FTDI drivers that came with it. (incidentally, these rename the COM1 and COM2 ports but I used bluetooth port names and it started working.)

What surprised me is that I had to unlock my Mac (OSX 10.9.4) to allow an unsigned and uncertificated driver to be installed, but I trust Wiring. I am extremely careful about who i unlock for.

To my surprise, after installing the driver and rebooting, my web browser (Chrome) started up with a different homepage and toolbar, something like the ask tool bar that Java tries to stick you with.

But the only installation done was the FTDI drivers for wiring. (FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_16.dmg Created: Monday, February 28, 2011 at 9:50 AM)

So either somebody hacked the drivers to put in this toolbar, or the extension was put in without consent, or i got it from another source.

I appreciate Wiring and I don't mind bloatware if I am asked first because then I can say no.

Anyway thanks for making such a great program and sorry for any inconvenience this report may cause.

Qynx

Re: Wiring FTDI Driver Installation is unsigned and uncertificated
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 07:50:54 PM »
I think its not. the FTDI driver.....  You forgot to remove  a sign by installing Java, this is the only install I know wich installing this toolbar.....

Rob