Author Topic: Other micro platforms besides Atmel AVR  (Read 3642 times)

marlboro35

Other micro platforms besides Atmel AVR
« on: December 04, 2011, 07:12:37 PM »
Hi,

I wonder if anyone knows about any effort to port Wiring/Ardiono to other microcontroller platforms.

I'm specially interested on porting Wiring/Arduino to the Rabbit platform, a Z80-based microcontroller programable in Dynamic C.

I'd appreciate any hint !!

Thanks !!
 Alberto

bhagman

Re: Other micro platforms besides Atmel AVR
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 03:38:33 PM »
Absolutely!  At least in theory.  I've heard of the Rabbit - and know of the Dynamic C compiler it uses.

The ongoing requirement for the Wiring Framework is that the microcontroller has a GCC port (with C++).  I'm not exactly sure of the state of GCC port for the Rabbit microcontroller, if one even exists.

Tell us some more about the details on the Rabbit microcontroller here and we'll see what we can do.

cver65

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 04:09:13 PM »
Does this mean that is would be "easy" to support some 32-bit platforms such as the STM32 as well ? I don't understand exactly where the difference lie between the avrdude, STK500, leaflabs, pinguino etc. All different, somewhat similar, could it be possible to add them all and just select the right protocol when we select the platform, and add some #ifdef in the sketches.

But maybe I'm just dreaming ?

bhagman

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 10:58:51 PM »
Yes.  It's all coming together in Wiring 1.1+  We'll have a way for all of these platforms to use the same sketches.  Uploading and compiling will be handled differently for each platform, but the sketches should operate very similar among the platforms.

cver65

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 08:24:47 AM »
Is there a planning for Wiring 1.1+ ? I wish it could support both PIC32 and STM32 so that I can make an educated comparison...

cver65

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 03:06:23 AM »
Keeping it warm ...

No progress on Wiring 1.1 ? Is there _any_ way to learn more about your plans/schedules ?

BTW, may I suggest you add a FAQ page to your site ? That would be appreciated. Of course one of these FAQ should probably explain your relation with Arduino ... ;-)

bhagman

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 12:44:34 PM »
Yeah - good idea!  I'll try to slap something up tonight.

The trouble is that it's only Hernando, Alex, and me, along with the occasional help from Marti of LeafLabs, who are committed to working on Wiring.  There are lots of contributors, but we're the core people putting it all together.

Speaking for myself, I don't have a lot of extra time, these days.  So, I try to put in as much effort as I can to keep things alive.

We're always open to anyone who wants to commit to helping out with Wiring.

cver65

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 07:41:16 AM »
I don't pretend I have a lot of time, but

- I did some experiments with a MEGA and NANO
- I just bought a LPC1343 and Pinguino Micro to "go 32 bits"
- I want all of these boards to be easy to program
- I need to create a kind of HVAC regulator for home rather soon
- I have a rather correct electronics background
- I believe Wiring is likely the best platform to support all of these

I'm ready to publish/share my experience and try to make it in a form
"as generic as possible", using libraries, documentation etc.

Does this fit the bill ?

bhagman

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 12:58:49 PM »
Absolutely!

Any and all help is encouraged.

We're still sorting out the wiki, so feel free to add any pages you'd like, or even organize, if you feel up to it.