Author Topic: Wiring won't burn bootloader  (Read 2564 times)

Fishtales

Wiring won't burn bootloader
« on: December 27, 2011, 07:55:03 AM »
I'm trying to burn a bootloader into a Wiring V1.0 equivalent that I have breadboarded.   When I tell Wiring to burn bootloader  with USBtinyISP, I get an instant "Error while burning bootloader".  It doesn't even blink the red LED on the USBtinyISP.  I get no indication of what the error was. 

I know the programmer works fine because I've used it with this board directly from AVRdude to first burn the fuses, and then to load a blink test program to make sure that the board is working OK. 

If I try to burn the bootloader from AVRdude (trying to burn this build: "WiringBoot_Wiring-V1-Mega.hex")  I get the following error: avrdude: ERROR: address 0x10f810 out of range at line 2 of WiringBoot_Wiring-V1-Mega.hex

I suspect that this is the error that is happening when I try to burn the bootloader from Wiring but an online search yields no info on what may be the cause.

bhagman

Re: Wiring won't burn bootloader
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 12:10:53 AM »
I haven't had a chance to use the USBtinyISP - I'll need more help and info from you on that.

Can you hold "shift" when you click "Burn Bootloader -> w/USBtinyISP"?  If you don't get more detail, you may have to edit the preferences.txt file and add/change "upload.verbose=true".

That will let you know more about what is going on during the bootloader burn process.

Fishtales

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 06:52:14 AM »
I do have verbose turned on already, and I see all the detail when I'm compiling a sketch, but when I if I hold the shift key down while I select Burn Bootloader> w/USBtinyISP I get nothing but an instantaneous "Error while burning bootloader".

As I said in the earlier post, the USBtinyISP works fine with avrdude and I can take a Wiring compiled hex file and load it directly from from avrdude so I know the board works, the ISP works and the code compiled from Wiring works.  I just can't get a bootloader into the chip.

bhagman

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 10:09:09 PM »
There's definitely something happening with the Burn Bootloader menu in the IDE.  Can you add an issue here:

https://github.com/WiringProject/Wiring/issues

Thanks for finding the problem.  We'll get to the bottom of it.  If you get any more information about the problem, please post here or on the issue.