Author Topic: embedXcode — Now for Wiring!  (Read 2746 times)

rei_vilo

embedXcode — Now for Wiring!
« on: April 05, 2012, 04:07:42 PM »
New releases add Wiring and LaunchPad support.

embedXcode • Apr 05, 2012 release 7 - Wiring and LaunchPad platforms added
mpideXcode • Apr 05, 2012 release 10 - Wiring and LaunchPad platforms added

Code is here and documentation there.

Both build and upload have been successfully tested on Wiring S and LaunchPad msp430g2452 boards.

Energia is the Processing-based IDE for the LaunchPad platform.

barragan

Re: embedXcode — Now for Wiring!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 05:44:26 PM »
Fantastic!!, : )

rei_vilo

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 03:44:56 AM »
Critical Decision Ahead

Most of the open points on embedXcode are about Xcode, especially keywords on the template.

Despite numerous calls for help, they're still unresolved. The Xcode template remains undocumented and there's no sign of openness from Apple. Apple seems to restrict Xcode to OS X and iOS platforms only.

So I'm considering to change for another IDE, with NetBeans as most probable solution. It's open, and documentation is available.

What do you think?

barragan

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 06:02:20 PM »
I believe it is worth the effort : )

rei_vilo

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 06:21:40 PM »

cver65

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 02:27:24 PM »
Hi Rei,

I'm not an Apple user (nor fan), so I didn't follow the development you made. Actually, I don't really understand the point, or what it allows you to do.

My (too simple?) view is that you already have the choice of using either Eclipse or Processing as an IDE, and that's more than enough. I don't want to spend too much time in "creating better tools" especially if I'm the only one to use them, and I'm not proficient with Eclipse, so I was attracted to the Arduino/Wiring/Processing approach as it allows me to focus on the task at hand. No need to handle 50 dependencies, makefiles, gcc parameters, mappings etc, it's already difficult/stupid enough to separate the "" and the <> libraries ;-)

Could you tell me in a few words why Mcode was so attractive, and what you find good in Netbeans and bad in Wiring/Arduino ? Maybe it's my hammer and all the boards are nails to me ? It wish they were : imagine a world where sketches would be portable between AVR, Cortex, PIC32 etc. THAT would be nice for me.

rei_vilo

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 04:35:33 PM »
I think everything is there:
The rationale behind is to consider a sketch as a normal C++ code-source. I tested the makefiles with Xcode and NetBeans successfully.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 05:18:56 PM by rei_vilo »

cver65

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 01:18:47 PM »
Hi Rei,

Interesting links. Unfortunately, this confirms all the xCode is a Apple-only stuff. Not very open ...  Did you have contacts with many people using it ?

rei_vilo

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 03:50:19 PM »
Hi cver65,

Yes, feed-back is positive.

Main drawback lies on the lack of documentation from Apple, thus requiring manual procedures.

rei_vilo

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 04:06:50 PM »
embedXcode now supports Maple!

embedXcode • May 23, 2012 release 10 • LeafLabs Maple implementation
mpideXcode • May 23, 2012 release 13 • LeafLabs Maple implementation
Installation Guide • May 23, 2012 release 7 • LeafLabs Maple implementation

The Maple reset script —which sends control signals over the USB-serial connection to restart and enter the bootloader— is written in Python and requires the PySerial library:
• Read the instructions at http://leaflabs.com/docs/unix-toolchain.html#os-x and
• Download PySerial library from http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyserial.

Full documentation is available here.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 05:15:59 PM by rei_vilo »